I am not normally a particular fan of stuffing, preferring as I do my bread puddings sweet, but this stuff is seriously good, comprised of cornbread, sweet Italian sausage, and apples. So that's fruit, gluten-free carbs, and protein - yay! Yet I am none so silly as to believe that this makes it healthy in large amounts.
Still, it is tasty, and we have a lot of it, and if we don't let it go to waste then we can save a lot of money on groceries. Therefore I have put together a Consumption Plan.
You know those weird "bowl" meals they have at fast food restaurants (I wanna say KFC) that basically take a bunch of unhealthy stuff, toss it all in there, and call it a day? Well, it's like that, only actually pretty good for you. I give you:
The Cheater's Warm Leftover Salad
I know. Sounds weird. Stick with me here.
You will need:
- Leafy greens (I like spinach)
- One large sweet potato
- A small portion of the savory leftover(s) of your choice
- Salt if you want
Now do this:
- Stab your sweet potato with a knife a couple times, wrap it in a paper towel, and nuke it in the microwave until cooked through, approximately ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, stick your leftover(s) at the bottom of a large bowl. Heap your greens on top.
- Split your cooked sweet potato and scoop the innards onto the spinach. Mash it up.
- Stick your bowl o' stuff in the microwave again and zap until the greens are wilted, approximately two minutes.
- Sprinkle a little salt on top if needed, mixed up, and dig in!
No picture because, let's face it, this isn't a particularly photogenic dish. But it's warm and tasty and you get to eat your delicious leftovers - but not TOO much. Plus the greens and sweet potato are crazy nutritious. It works great with stuffing, and I can see mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, or creamed vegetables coming out nicely. Do whatever will make your taste buds happy. Perfect as a packed lunch!
What do you think? Am I insane? What leftovers would you assault in this manner?
Don't forget, you can follow us on Twitter @fairestrunofall. To see how our training is going, check out Jenn's dailymile here and Moon's dailymile here. If you have any questions for us, leave a comment or email us at email@example.com. See ya real soon!