Jenn’s Recovery Smoothie
So says the White Knight: It’s my own invention!
You will need:
- Coconut water (I usually use one single-serving container of Grace brand because it’s cheaper)
- A heaping spoonful, approx. 1/4 cup, of nonfat plain Greek yogurt (I use Chobani because a full serving of that stuff has 22 GRAMS OF PROTEIN YOWZA)
- The largest handful of spinach you can muster, about a medium-sized salad’s worth
- 1/2 cup frozen mangoes (frozen berries also work nicely, but not blueberries because yuck)
- One packet EmergenC in a complementary flavor; as a general rule anything orange will work
- One serving or dose or whatever of fiber powder
Naturally in a smoothie recipe situation it’s tempting to just say “Combine ingredients, blend, drink,” but I have discovered that the order of operations affects how effectively – and messily – your blender does its job. So, in my as-per-usual too-detailed way, here are my instructions.
- Dump the frozen mangoes in the bottom of the blender.
- Add your Greek yogurt on top.
- Now pile your spinach inside.
- If using, sprinkle on EmergenC and fiber powder.
- Douse the whole thing in coconut water – electrolytes, baby!
- Okay, NOW you can blend and enjoy.
I think the plain Greek yogurt, in addition to adding delightful protein, has a pleasant tang, but if you’re into something sweeter you can use a fruit-based version or add some honey or a sugar packet. You can also adjust the amount of yogurt and/or coconut water if you’d like a thinner or thicker smoothie.
How do you recover after a hard run?
* When is Cary Elwes ever notwithstanding? He’s the Dread Pirate Roberts AND Pierre Despereaux!
Don’t forget, you can follow us on Twitter @fairestrunofall. To see how our training is going, check out Jenn’s dailymile here and Moon’s dailymile here. If you have any questions for us, leave a comment or email us firstname.lastname@example.org. See ya real soon!