Holy smokes, kids; this is NOT NOT NOT the pre-trip WDW post I expected to write. I almost had to skip it entirely and IT. WAS. TERRIFYING.
What happened, you ask? A sudden injury? A death? A work obligation? No! It was that most mundane emergency of the present decade: COVID exposure.
Over the last week, I have tested and re-tested and re-tested again, knowing that if I ever came up positive, that was it: my WDW Marathon dream was over for 2023. The highlight of my year. MY EMOTIONAL SUPPORT RACE. And yet, I would have to skip; it would be irresponsible not to.
And so it is with the immense, utmost, teetering-on-the-edge-of-a-nervous-breakdown sense of a relief I am able to say: I have tested negative every single time. I’m ready to run!
So where was I supposed to start this post, as normal? Blah blah blah, something about not having park tickets. I don’t even care anymore. I’m just glad to have my trip back. But anyway, like I was going to say…
How does one create a WDW trip bucket list without park tickets? It’s actually pretty easy! Don’t get me wrong, Imma miss my Annual Pass every minute, but Disney resorts are full of non-park activities. Heck, it can be kinda nice to explore that lesser-traveled facets of Walt Disney World sometimes.
Of course it helps that is Walt Disney World Marathon race weekend, aka THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR. You thought that was in December, didn’t you? WRONG. It’s marathon weekend. Now you know.
So I’m already set up for success right there. But just to really put on a seal on it, what other fun things do I hope to accomplish during my four parkless days?
MY WDW TO-DO LIST
• I have my first Hoop de Doo Musical Revue reservation ever! I’m so excited! I’ve heard such good things about this show for years and years, but never quite made it fit into a trip. This time around it’s happening! I think unlimited drinks and snacks will be the perfect top-off to our marathon day.
• Is it too much to ask that the race expo might have a ceramic coffee mug? I have been disappointed many expos in a row now, but we’re arriving a couple days before the race and I am naively hopeful.
• Do a little light shopping and barhopping at Disney Springs, with no real time restraint – we have no plans the next morning beyond grabbing brunch with Becky and Just Eric. And Just Erika. Have I mentioned I loved the Frozen singalong? Which I can’t do this time because I don’t have a park ticket. Boo.
• Okay, quick, what other fun stuff? Ooh, we could potentially go to Blizzard Beach! I’ll have to consult with Erika on that. runDisney’s been doing discounted water park tickets for race registrants, and it certainly wouldn’t be the worst use of time…
• Above all, I am going to be GRATEFUL for every second of it. Nothing like a near miss to really put things in perspective, you know?
It’s a start! Who knows what kinda of fun antics we’ll ultimately get into – be sure to follow FROA on Instagram and Twitter for updates (mostly Insta now). Can’t wait to see everyone for the happiest weekend on earth!
Don’t forget, you can follow FRoA on Twitter @fairestrunofall and on Instagram @fairestrunofall. If you have any questions or thoughts, leave a comment or email email@example.com. See ya real soon!